The Deanship of Graduate Studies and Research provides financial support to faculty members in terms of university funded research grants to conduct their research under following categories.
- Internal Research Grants (IRG)
- Interdisciplinary Research Grants (IDP)
- College Research Group Grant (CRG)
- SGS Projects Grant (SGSG)
- Research Travel Grants (RTG)
The Policies adopted for granting university funded research grants are as follows:
- AU will provide funds to support research projects in all colleges on a competitive basis.
- All faculty members are eligible to apply for internal research funds either on individual basis or by forming research groups and teams, including interdisciplinary teams.
- Priority for allocation of funds will be given to proposals with potential publications in journals of high impact factors or high-quality category (such as A*, A, B, and C) or proceedings of prestigious research conferences as recommended by CRCs and approved by the Deanship of Graduate Studies and Research. Preference will also be given to projects that are likely to receive external funds in the near future.
- Projects focusing on important research areas for the Emirate of Ajman, UAE and the Arab region will also have high priority.
- The competition for the award of funds will be held at least once and at most twice per academic year by the DGSR.
- No financial compensation will be provided to faculty members from internal research funds. However, compensation can be provided to students and others working on the funded project as Research Assistants.
- The research funds may be utilized for the purchase of components, parts, software or other resources needed for successful completion of the project, as approved by the DGSR.
- AU shall provide sufficient budget to the DGSR to cater to the needs of high-quality research projects in all colleges.
- The Dean of Graduate Studies and Research shall have the authority to approve funding for research projects with an upper limit of AED 50,000 per project. The funds will be granted only for projects recommended by the CRCs and the CGSR. The maximum duration for completion of such projects shall be 12 months.
- For research projects with funding requirement exceeding AED 50,000, the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research shall submit a request for funding approval to the VCAA provided that the project has been recommended by the CGSR.
- The DGSR will monitor the progress of funded research projects through CRCs headed by the Members of CGSR in their respective colleges.